Sunday 11 September 2011

#57: New Trail

The first Sunday after Labour Day usually found me driving to Cambridge for my four-hour afternoon shift at the library. 

Today I also headed for Cambridge, but on foot.  I took a meandering path through the woods along the river.  I admired the tall, pink, Joe Pye weed, the purple asters and fields of goldenrod.  And when I came out later on the Niska Road, I turned around.  I didn't need to go 26 kms.   No-one needed me to open the library, clear the book drop, staple the newspapers and turn on the computers.

My retirement has been a bit like that walk. I'm heading in the same direction, but my path is different and I'm in no hurry.  I'll take time to enjoy what I experience on the way.

Tomorrow is my first day as a library volunteer at the Riverside Glen retirement home.

No comments:

Post a Comment