My serious, grown-up self just had to have:
- Ball point pens -- I learned to write using a straight pen (with a nib!) and bottled ink. The ball point was almost too good to be true.
- Birth control pills -- No brainer.
- Disposable diapers -- We couldn't buy them when we lived in NZ, but that that didn't mean I didn't want them.
- "Umbroller" stroller -- This was the Smart Car stroller as compared to the SUV strollers that today's young moms are lumbered with.
- Wheeled luggage -- Brilliant
- Hand-held hair dryers -- Hair care expedited! (My search for hair heaven could fuel a list all by itself.)
- White-out -- Pre--Spell Check, but a godsend when I needed it.
- Paper towels -- I know there was life before paper towels, but it was so much yuckier.
- Portable tape recorders -- Entertainment mainstay for kids, especially. There are songs I only associate with a tape deck.
- Dishwasher -- I never wanted a dishwasher until I had the use of one for a year. Wow! So that's what all the fuss was about!
My family argued a bit about this list with me. Colour TV! Polaroid Cameras! You are missing out the good stuff! But it was my mid-life, and it's my list.