Friday 27 July 2012

#305: One Year Check Up

While I working today at a library where I occasionally fill in, I encountered a former colleague who retired just a few weeks before I did.

She was at the library to volunteer.  (We obviously loved our jobs and still can't bear to cut the cord.)

"How's retirement?" we asked one another.  "Good", we each replied.

We both seem to be finding things to do that we enjoy.  She is a keen gardener, and she has also been putting her house, quite literally, in order. "It's an endless job", she observed, "and I don't seem to have as much time to read as I thought it would."

"Tell me about it.....but what are we going to give up so we can do more reading?"  Neither of us had an immediate answer. We both felt a bit guilty.  We are book-women who are letting down the side.

"It doesn't matter", she decided.  "We are busy, we like what we are doing, and winter's coming.  We'll read more then." 

Good answer. Then --because we do love to read-- we proceeded to recommend authors of historical mysteries; she had not read anything by Ariana Franklin, and C. J. Sansom was new to me.

Perhaps before we work together in a couple of weeks we will have found a way to carve out a bit more book-time.  At the very least, I will be able to report that her excellent suggestions are now on hold ---for one of my retirement home readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment