Tuesday 1 May 2012

#237: The Walk


A retirement first:  I have agreed to organize and lead tomorrow’s hike for the ladies in my Canadian Federation of University Women's hiking group.

Up until now I have been reluctant to do this because there is a lot to keep in mind.  First you must choose a hiking spot, and there are many things to consider:
  • The hike shouldn’t be too long.
  • Or too difficult.
  • It should be interesting.
  • And easy to get to.
The leader also has responsibilities before, during and after the hike. She should:
  • Provide a map so that no-one gets lost en route. 
  • Account for everyone in the group.  (I wouldn’t want to lose someone on the track.)
  • Take a first aid kit.
  • Be knowledgeable about the location.
  • Be able to recognize and point out native flowers.  (I am somewhat botany challenged, but I can recognize trillium.)
  • Recommend a place for tea afterwards.
I have made two reconnoitering trips to check the lay of the land at Scotsdale Farms so I think I have everything covered. Now I will just cross my fingers for decent weather.

But I can’t help thinking about Jane Christmas' travel memoir, What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim, and the ladies who accompanied her on the Camino de Santiago de Compostello.  She encountered a host of problems all because she went hiking with a group of women.

Fortunately, there are no one legged hikers in my group, no chatty Cathys and no cliquey back- stabbers.  There will likely be no sexual shenanigans.

Past experience leads me to believe that our group will be very well-behaved.  All those guidelines will keep us on The Path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment