Thursday 10 May 2012

#246: Old Friends


My husband and I had dinner last night with an old friend, someone we first met in New Zealand 40 years ago.  As usual, we had a good time catching up.  We told her about our amazing holiday, and she told us about hers. 

She had attended an excellent conference in Santa Fe, but the highlight of the trip was re-connecting with her BFF from high school, a woman she last saw in 1957.  I was impressed and wanted to know more about the visit.  “Amazing” was her answer.  “We had such a lot to talk about. She has had a wonderful, interesting life, just as I might have expected.  We fell back into the friendship as if no time had passed at all."

I am looking forward to spending time tomorrow with one of my old friends, someone I rarely see now that she lives in another country.  We don’t go back 57 or even 40 years, but 33 years is still a long time, and I am pretty sure that we will carry on just as we did when she lived down the street.  We are still the same people, and what we liked about one another all those years ago has not changed.

There is nothing like a visit with old friends. 

Of course, to have old friends, you have to be old.  But that is a trade-off I can accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment