Saturday 12 May 2012

#248: Safe at Home


An email arrived yesterday from a friend who lives in a lovely town house condo.  She wanted me and all her other aging book group buddies to know that there is a unit in her development on the market. 

As a health professional, she pointed out the special features that made this dwelling particularly suitable for older people.  “There is a main floor bedroom and bath, perfect for those who want to remain independent longer. It doesn’t matter how many support services you have, if you break your hip and can’t climb the stairs to your second floor bedroom, you will not be allowed to return home.”

Well.  That makes you sit up and take notice, doesn’t it? 

And here I am in our two story house. We have lots of stairs, no main floor bathroom and no main floor bedroom, for sure. And we aren’t getting any younger.

Her cautionary advice is perfectly correct.  But there are some topics I’m just not ready to deal with, and this is one of them.  I don't want to move. Maybe when the garden is too much work,  or if I start avoiding the basement laundry.   Perhaps if I find myself puffing as I go up the stairs to bed....

But not right now.  For the time being, I think I am equal to this right-sized house in the neighbourhood we love.  As for the future,  I'll keep exercising to improve strength and balance, and I’ll be sensible and use handrails.  I think I’m good for another 10 years .......

It is such a nuisance typing with crossed fingers. 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if lifts which attach to stair rails are a possibility? An older relative in England was provided with one by the local 'Sosh' (Social Services) and this enabled her lovong husband to care for her tenderly for quite a few more years after her debilitating stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are available (now that you remind me). You, lucky thing, have the perfect house in which to age and I'm sure you weren't thinking of that at all when you bought it, either.

    ReplyDelete