Tuesday 10 April 2012

#216: The Notebook


I am a list -maker.  I write my lists in a notebook, and cross items off as they are completed.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment and provides an answer to the question:  What the heck did I do all day? Call it weird and obsessive, but I do feel more productive when I work my way through a day’s worth of minutiae, having ticked all the boxes. 

When I retired, I abandoned my big coil-bound notebook in favour of one that was more compact.  Now, 10 months later, that one is filled and I need to buy another.  But I keep forgetting.  Perhaps “buy notebook” needs to be on a list somewhere?

I suspect that I can't rouse enthusiasm for notebook buying because I know the contents will not be especially exciting. In fact, the new list in the new notebook should begin with buy ant poison.  (Our kitchen has had an insect invasion since our return from New Zealand.)  Back in January, pack bags for extended trip abroad was a more interesting entry.  But honestly, did I need to prompt myself to do that?

It does help to recall that ninety percent of my work-life-lists consisted of picky, boring (but necessary) tasks, so not that much has changed now that I have retired.  Only the content is different.

Besides, when the ants are dead, I know that I will be filling the new notebook with occasional, more appealing entries. Visit garden centre, for example.

2 comments:

  1. toronto roommate keren b. once taught me the satisfaction of writing a daily to-do list that contained things like, "Wake up. Put on bra." small, achievable goals meant more things accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I've been known to amend a list half way through the day to include "do laundry" -- which I will have already done, of course -- but now I get to check it off.

    I'm glad I'm not alone in my need to feel productive!

    ReplyDelete