Monday 16 April 2012

#222: Qi Gong (again)

The Qi Gong spring semester began today, so I am back in class doing "18 postures" with our charming instructor, James.

Qi Gong is all about improving range of motion and balance by working the tendons from head to foot.  It is a sort of "stealth exercise" because with all that stationary stretching,  it doesn't look like exercise at all.

There is learning involved, however, so I was a bit worried about the effect of 10 slacker weeks.  But, wonder of wonders, my body seems to have remembered what to do and how to do it!  Hurrah!

I have retired, but my brain (apparently) is still on the job.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your skills and your brain remembering what your body does.
    Jim and I have started Tai Chi up at the Khandallah Town Hall on Mondays. Unfortunately, I have had other meetings to attend some Mondays meetings so have only been to three sessions and my brain is definitely NOT remembering. Jim, who has been a better attendee than me, is beginning to get it. However, I suspect he is also better coordinated than me and would have been faster at learning than I am anyway. I think I'm OK about being at the bottom of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it is worth, Bruce says that tai chi is more intellectually demanding than qi gong, and it took me a whole year to feel even remotely comfortable with that!

    ReplyDelete