Saturday 14 April 2012

#220: Facebook Food Challenge

There's one of those Facebook challenge things going around right now:  100 Foods to Eat Before You Die. Participants check off items from abalone to zucchini flowers.

My total, compared to many others, was a so-so 53.  But it is likely a better score than that of many 25-year-olds.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that a well-travelled boomer retiree probably has had many more opportunities to eat interesting foods over their entire lifetime than most younger people who are still paying off their student loans. 

That's the way it is.  The older you are, the more experiences you have had. Some good, some bad, and some, alas, you just can't remember. 

If I could only recall more meals, I might have a better Food Challenge score.  Did I eat black pudding in England in 1964?  I don't have a clue.

2 comments:

  1. I came out as 46. Frankly, some of the choices did not appeal. For example, James Lee Burke has extolled the glories of the po' boy, but it sounds like mainlining cholesterol direct. One has one's standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for Philly Cheesesteak. I think that fell into the category of "I'm here in Philadelphia, so I'll try a this extremely unhealthy food because everyone says I have to, but that doesn't mean that I will eat it ever again".

    ReplyDelete