Thursday 26 January 2012

#189: Just Do It


I shouldn’t be so surprised to admit that I agree with pretty well everything I have read so far in Jane Fonda’s Prime Time, her book on successful aging.

Perhaps that is because what she has to say about attitude, exercise, nutrition, sexuality and a bunch of other stuff is all very familiar.  I’ve read it all before in newspapers and magazines and books.  I could probably write my own book on the subject.  

So why am I consuming another uplifting, positive guide to growing older?

Is it just because Fonda, fit and foxy at 73, might have something new to add to the topic?  Do I just need confirmation that I am on the right track to superior seniorhood?

Yes, and yes.

But I suspect my real purpose in reading this (and every other similar article or book) is that I occasionally need my retired butt booted back on the wagon called Healthy, Mindful Aging. Because knowing what to do and how to do it is not the same as actually doing it consistently.  I need to be constantly reminded about the benefits of living well, if as an older person I want to be older still.

So when Jane Fonda urges me to stay in the game and kick it up a notch, I’ll pay attention. 

For a few weeks, anyway.          

No comments:

Post a Comment